Our main pipe organ stands under the tower at the back of the church. From 1726 until 1902 there was a tall wooden gallery here, extending well into the nave. This provided additional bench seats enabling the church to seat over 1,000 people, almost the entire town population at the time. We know that the church organs from the late 1400s until 1643 when music ceased.

The present organ, with its splendid Chippendale-style case, was built in London by James Davis and installed in 1793, the gift of Miss Anne Farmer ‘spinster of the parish’ at a cost of £687 (a huge sum at the time). The original pipes are still in use, though the instrument has been enlarged and rebuilt several times. It is a fine instrument in regular use for recitals as well as church services. Under the tower you can see the original organ console (keyboards) and listen to its sound and also the bells.

In the north aisle we have a small chamber organ dating from 1810 and also made by James Davis.