In Saxon times, Wymondham probably had a Minster church serving the town and surrounding communities. After the 1066 Norman Conquest, the land passed to the d’Aubigny family from Normandy. In 1107, William d’Aubigny founded a Benedictine monastery here as a ‘daughter house’ of the great St Alban’s Abbey.
The church was a grand stone structure used by the small community of monks and also by the parishioners of the town. Roof angelThis arrangement caused frequent disputes, and in 1249 the Pope ruled that the church should be clearly divided. The eastern half was to be used by the monks, the western half became the town’s parish church.