The ruins opposite St Benedict’s

This image shows the delineation of the cloister and the monks’ church. The red lines show where the cloister was and its extent and you can see how the Chapter House abutted the cloister. In the centre of the transepts was the original tower’s location; the current one replaced it. The remainder is what is…

The sources for this tour

The primary sources relating to the Abbey reside unedited in the British Library as the ‘Wymondham Register’ or cartulary, whilst the ‘Minister’s Accounts’ are housed at the National Archives; a few of these are kept in our Muniment Room above the porch having been left there by the historian Paul Cattermole following the preparation of…

William d’Aubigny (d. 1139)

Having been given the manor of Wymondham possibly in the 1190s, William d’Aubigny (d. 1139) founded a priory on this site in 1107, giving over manorial lands and buildings to that end as well as money. Little is known about him and it is not known when or why he first came to England. However,…